Big Sur

4 Dec 2014

Honestly, I never got overly excited at the thought of visiting California or anywhere in close proximity to home (i.e. Canada). To me, adventure and distance went hand  in hand - longer flights meant more exotic and inspiring destinations. But I was in for a huge surprise! 
After finishing off with San Fran and the Napa Valley, we headed towards the Big Sur along the California's Pacific Coast highway. Before I go on, a little revelation about myself: I dread water. Most likely influenced by the early childhood experience of having almost drowned, my fear of water is irrational and instinctual. So when it comes to swimming in the ocean, if the water is deeper than my shoulders, its a fight or flight situation (you should watch me "fight" an impending baby wave ;) ).
Anyways, I had never seen ocean waves larger and stronger than I had seen along the Californian coastline. Driving on the Pacific Coast highway does not feel like driving for the purpose of getting to a destination, it is the destination in itself. Every minute is a must-see viewing point so instead of relying on google maps and hoping to cover the drive in 4 hours, it must be given the respect it deserves with at least 2 days of one's full attention. 
Once I got the chance to get close to the ocean and its powerful waves, I was completely mesmerized. I have never experienced hypnosis up until this point. When you see something bigger than yourself, and not necessarily in the literal sense, the experience can transform you. It was as if the world unraveled its wonders in one big splash without notice. I came face to face with my fear of water, blood boiling inside me, heart beating fast and my breath stopping its habitual rhythm. But I didn't flee or fight, I couldn't stop watching, frozen in awe, realizing that our daily worries are pebbles in comparison. Big Sur was Big in every sense...

Every stop along the coast had a unique and different scenery to offer. Everything was beautiful: the interplay of the ocean, greenery, light, rock formations. It's a one of a kind experience and must be savoured slowly. One of my biggest regrets is that we didn't plan for enough time to explore every stop along the coast, but I made a promise to myself that I will come back soon. 

And should I really talk about the sunsets?! Some experiences are best portrayed through an image.... 
We also got a chance to spend one day in Santa Barbara, which was our last long stop before reaching Los Angeles. It is one of the cutest and cleanest little cities I have been to. Spanish inspired architecture and cobblestone streets are so full of charm, I was pleasantly surprised. We stopped for lunch and some shopping, where I dug up one of my favourite staple wardrobe pieces at the Coach store... but I'll leave that for another post;)
Below are one of the very few pictures I took in Santa Barbara, of the restaurant where we had the longest lunch. I wish I remembered its name...


Be ready for the unexpected when you visit California and never underestimate those waves!

- Oliya

2 comments:

  1. Wow Wow Wow! Those images and the views! How beautiful... I especially love the one where you are in the woods - I bet the smell of fresh air was amazing? PS wish I could wear shorts here! :)

    Tatyana x
    Secret little Stars
    www.secretlittlestars.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thank you Star!! Everything was amazing: the smells, sights, sounds. California is incredible!!

    ReplyDelete

 

SILK IRIS © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger