Rebel

21 Nov 2014


How do you think your personal style reflects on who you are? I have always been fascinated by psychology, so much that it was one of the subjects I ended up majoring in. Personal style runs much deeper than you think, it speaks wordless volumes about who you are. I recently came across an article by Forbes on what your clothes say about you, and one of the things it mentioned was that your style does not only reveal information about you through first impressions, but it also reflects how you want to feel (Read full article here).
I couldn't agree more. You wear who you want to be, you carry pieces of who you are on your sleeves. Have you ever bumped into a lady dressed in something so loudly colourful and flowery that your eyes hurt?! Now can you imagine her to be grumpy? If the first image that came to your mind is someone cheerful, you already stereotyped without ever meeting this lady. And this is exactly how first impressions are formed.
I love changing my style constantly, taking risks where I can, unwilling to get too attached to any one style for too long. Of course when it comes to work, I try to tone it down and keep it professional, but I will ALWAYS have a personal twist to my outfit that might leave an onlooker intrigued or...confused. But work is only a piece of a much bigger pie (no matter how many hours you actually spend in the office). I have multiple hobbies, a lot of ideas, thirst to learn, travel, see, observe. I gasp for air and time, and I never get enough sleep. Every detail matters.... from the scent of my candles to the patterns on my tissue box. And my style reflects all these different facets (or so I hope).
I am a bit of a rebel inside. In the past it didn't always work to my advantage, but I learned how to use it in a positive way. When I was in high school I was a bit of a trouble maker, not very interested in school at all. Until I felt like making a change, turning into a good girl and graduating high school and university with honors  It's too bad adults often fail to spot opportunity beyond trouble. But I truly learned to value the rebellious kid inside me and I will never let her go. She refused to settle for less, always spoke her mind and never dug her head in the sand at the first sign of trouble. 
This post is all about embracing the rebellious and unconventional. This leather biker jacket by the Canadian label Rudsak is impeccably constructed with a perfectly structured shoulder line and pony hair inserts (in burgundy red, of course). Yet the leather is so soft, it doesn't feel like you're wearing a space suit. The boots are some of my favourite wardrobe pieces by Buttero. Beautifully handcrafted in Italy, they are made to last. They are heavy and you really feel your own presence with every step, you won't enter a room without  demanding attention and being heard (literally)!

One of my favourite parts of Toronto is the Graffiti Alley, running between Spadina and Strachan Ave. Its like a little urban art museum that you don't have to pay to get into. Yet unlike in a museum,  there is no rigid separation between art and you, you can walk on walls if you want to. Check out the top must-see graffiti walls in Toronto

Leather Biker Jacket / Rudsak (Canadian)
Vest / Samuel Dong via Winners
Faux Leather Leggings / Riani
Booties / Buttero
Gloves / Danier (Canadian)

I hope you stay true to yourself and your style and always look for the strengths where others see weakness. 

      - Oliya

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

SILK IRIS © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger